Friday

Spring Series: The Natural World Part Two

An exploration of the work of marquetarian Ian Smith, sea glass and silver from Almost Perfect, and the vivid scarves of Taisir Gibreel.

Join us this week as we get a closer insight to some of this year’s designer-makers discovering some of their creative influences and processes. Beginning with the stimuli of…

How do the materials you work in communicate and connect to spring and an awareness of the seasons?

Does the natural world influence your work and creative processes and if so how?


Almost Perfect Jewellery is designed and created by artist Rose Cecil who is based in the picturesque Cornish village of Mousehole. Her interest in the human relationship with the organic world inspires her jewellery collections.

‘Surrounded by inspiration, I explore ideas, textures and themes related to nature, the seasons and in particular the sea. I named my company Almost Perfect to reflect the fact that in nature nothing is perfect and is often more beautiful and interesting than the mechanical symmetry of manufactured pieces.’
‘Making jewellery provides the opportunity to be creative with extraordinarily beautiful and interesting materials. I trained first as a painter and then as a sculptor at Camberwell College. I see jewellery as an extension of my work as a fine artist and my materials as a three dimensional palette. Form, shape, colour and feel determine the design of a piece. I find inspiration all around me, especially in Cornwall where I live.’
‘The starting point for a piece may be a found texture or simply the beauty of a string of pearls. Inspired by the coast, and landscape, I use its forms, shapes and colours to create my signature pieces in metals and semi-precious stones.’

To see more work from Almost Perfect go to: www.almostperfect.co.uk/

Ian Smith is a marqutarian who works using age-old traditional techniques from his studio in Manchester.


‘As a professional marquetarian, the materials I work in connect to spring and the seasons as I work in wood and of course the trees are wonderful examples of the way the different seasons develop. A lot of my work directly reflects the seasons and the choice of veneers is an example of that.'



‘The natural world influences my work directly as I use natural materials to create my pictures! All my veneers reflect life and growth and my creative processes are stimulated by what I see. I am constantly looking for good subjects for my work, either from my own observations or those of my collaborators. These starting points are often taken directly from nature, not just from spring but all seasons.’

‘The choice of veneers symbolises the warmth or coldness of the season being depicted. I particularly love winter scenes based on the work of the old Dutch masters as the veneers again perfectly reflect the tone and atmosphere they were aiming for.’

To find out more about Ian and his work go to: www.themarquetryshack.com

Taisir Gibreel's Colourful scarves combine pattern and bold colour to create unique prints taking inspiration from the landscapes of her Sudanese- British heritage.


‘Bold structural imagery drawn from urban Scotland against a backdrop of colours and shapes from the Highlands, provides her with a treasure trove of rich colours and wonderful organic shapes. An eclectic fusion of cultures’



‘The Scottish landscapes provide me with a treasure trove of rich colours and wonderful shapes. I believe by showcasing my Sudanese and British roots and drawing inspiration from the colours and shapes of the Scottish Highlands, I create distinctive and unique prints.'

‘The collections of pure silk and wool scarves are bewitching, bold and abstract designs and we produce them in the UK and Italy insuring quality, which is of the utmost importance. Stunning, luxurious silk shift dresses will also soon be joining my expanding collection!’

To find out more about Taisir Gibreel: www.taisirgibreel.co.uk



All the featured designer-makers in our Spring Series: The Natural World blog posts will be exhibiting at Handmade in Britain's up coming event at the Chelsea Old Town Hall. To find out more about the event, and book tickets head to: www.handmadeinbritain.co.uk


Tickets now on sale


Handmade in Britain 14:
Spring Edition
The Contemporary Crafts & Design Fair
9th - 11th May 2014
Chelsea Old Town Hall, London

Spring Edition is open:
Friday 9th: 11:00 - 19:00
Saturday 10th: 11:00 - 18:00
Sunday 11th: 11:00 - 18:00
Tickets are available online now at £5
Tickets on the door are £7/£5 conc.

No comments:

Post a Comment